Saturday, November 27, 2010

End of the school year

The Form 4 students finished their exams (the A level equivalent) a couple of weeks ago and now will have to wait until February to find out their results and discover whether their are able to continue their education at a university. In the meantime they have left Motherly Care to stay with their relatives.

I am not sure if I mentioned this before but Motherly Care is not just an orphanage - we help poor families to educate their children - the secondary schools are not free in Kenya and therefore many families cannot afford it.

This week also remaining classes finished the end of year exams and on Thursday was the last day of school. Most of the children with relatives have left and wil return in January when the new school year begins.

This was a very busy week for me - first I had to go to the immigration office and extend my visa... I did not go to plan and as a result I am flying back to London this morning just for a few days so I can return on a new visa... On Tuesday I went with Juliet (the latest arrival at Motherly Care) to St. Teresa's School where one of my friends (and a former streetboy) was holding an event for children showing documentaries about children's rights. Juliet was rescued a couple of months ago and she has been through a lot, there is a documentary being produced based on her story. She now wants to help other children to avoid what happened to her... On Wednesday we went back to St. Teresa's but this time with a group of 19 MCCH children as they were performing during the event - singing, dancing, etc... It was a really good day, the kids really enjoyed themselves but I was exhausted at the end of it... And then on Thursday I had to be back in town with Juliet again as we were going to work on the documentary with the Alessandra, who is putting it all together. It took us over 4 hrs to return back to Ruai and we arrived after it was already dark - sthg that I really try to avoid but this time we had no choice... I did arrange for 2 boys to come and meet us as soon as we got off the matatu though as it would be dangerous for us to walk alone in the dark - it is about 30 min walk, there is no lights on the way and we had no torch... Luckily we arrived home safely.

On Friday I finally managed to meet with Maria - it has been a very long time since I saw as she is always working... We spent quite a few hours talking and catching up on everything. She is going to Switzerland in feb next year to volunteer there (working with old and disabled people) so she was in town sorting out her visa etc...

And now I am at the airport waiting for my flight to London...

No comments:

Post a Comment