Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sonja & Justin

Last week we hosted Sonja & Justin at Motherly Care - a couple from UK. It was very nice to have visitors here for a week - especially that they are a great couple and they did some great work here. Justin, with a help of local person (whom he named Charlie - as a much easier name to remember than what he was actually called LOL), built a new chicken coop for our chicken project - currently we have 1500 chickens here (they start the slaughtering tonight so the first batch can be sold in the morning...) - this is the initiative to help us get money for the staff salaries as we are still struggling with that). Sonja is a huge animal lover so apart from spending her time with the children she was also helping with the goats and feeding the chickens :)
It was also nice for me to have them here - it was great to have someone to talk to from the same background and culture. Dont get me wrong - I am at least half Kenyan now but it is always nice to have someone who understands your way of thinking :)
I was playing a tour guide on 2 trips to town. Thanks to that I got a chance to finally go and see the elephants :) On the way back to Ruai after the 1st trip, while we waited for the taxi to pick us up, I started talking to two street boys - one was 8 and the other 12 years old. I shared some food with them and they really wanted me to take them to Motherly Care with me (they told me that they live on the streets and sleep under a car...). I really wanted to take them with me but unfortunately it is not just as easy as that. You cannot bring a child from the street and mix in with the children from the orphanage. Luckily, I have recently met someone who is rescuing children from the streets and he promised to help me find them and take them to a rescue centre (they would need to stay there first and then we would find an orphange that could take them in). This makes me feel much better as I was really sad just leaving them there. And it was then when I decided I wanted to learn more about what can be done to help children, especially those ones forced to live on the streets. Hopefully I can succeed in my mission to help as many children as possible.

Tomorrow we are travelling together to Mombasa :) It takes about 14-16 hrs on the train but it is much better than the coach and I actually really like that journey. The train goes through Tsavo National Park and if you wake up early enough you can see a really lovely sunrise - and if you are lucky, the elephants...
Whilst in Mombasa I am going to visit 2 more project and I am hoping to get some tips that we can use at Motherly Care. It will also be a nice mental break as lately I have been quite stressed out. I am really looking forward to it. Although I took the train to Mombasa last year, I didn't actually spend any time there as we travelled on to another place. It will be really nice to explore the city :)
However, before I get there I have to get through all the mud around here - it's been raining since last night and although it stopped for a short while (just enough time for me to dry my washing :), it is now raining again... I really dont like the mud, it is so difficult to walk anywhere... On teh other hand - when it does not rain it is unbelievably dusty! LOL

1 comment:

  1. It's so nice to read about your experience! Hope to visit your project one day! :) And our trip with the train last year was quite nice... our bunk bed cage was memorable ;)
    All the best from Ena :*

    ReplyDelete