Thursday, November 25, 2010

The trip

The trip to the coast was really good although it did have some challenges, first one being the severe rains that delayed our arrival in Mombasa by more than 8 hrs... I like travelling on the train but being stuck on it for almost 24hrs and in very hot and humid conditions is not fun even for such train lover as I am...
While at the coast, I visited 2 projects - a children's home in Bamburi and a school in Kilifi. The projects are really well run and I was very impressed by the way they work with and support the communities. It gave me even more ideas of what can be done when there is enough money coming in and good management in place with people devoted to what they are doing, I hope one day Motherly Care can become a great project like this also...

Mombasa was very very hot and so busy and polluted that only thing to differentiate it from Nairobi was the heat and the ocean near by. And the ocean was great - the beach and the water fantastic.
I made new friends and was very happy staying there. However, the trips to town were an experience of its own - the matatu drivers are even more crazy than those in Nairobi, the conductors try to squeeze 20 people in the vehicle designed for only 14... travelling was not a nice experience.

I went to see Fort Jesus and was surprised to find a tribute to Polish soldiers there...

I was originally planning to fly back to Nairobi but to save money I went back on the bus instead... And it was not bad at all - I paid for the luxury coach (which was only £5 more than the normal coach - £15 for the trip) and it had air conditioning, a loo and some snacks during the journey. We arrived back in Nairobi on time which was also great as I wanted to be back before it gets dark...
What like the most about returning back home is the welcome I get from the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment