Thursday, January 20, 2011

Catch Up

I have really neglected my blog recently so it is time for a catch up.

December was quite a busy month for me - had to fly to London all of a sudden for 10 days but this enabled me to bring majority of the stuff donated by the Bearwood Primary School pupils (from Wokingham). The children collected lots of school uniforms, stationery and toiletries for MCCH kids - I carried 3 massive suitcases with me back to Nairobi and the kids were thrilled to receive the gifts.

Our primary school kids (up to class 5) in their new uniforms
 
Kids receiving the gifts from UK
Dring December there are many well-wishers coming to visit our children, bringing Xmas gifts. The kids also get to go to few places, i.e. an event organised by the Asian community in Nairobi for 10 children homes - they send buses to pick everyone from wherever they are located and bring them to the event location. The kids have an opportunity to sing and dance in front of the others, are given breakfast and lunch. There are also fun activities for the kids, i.e. horse or camel riding, face painting, bouncy castle, etc... Each child also receives a xmas gift and the orphanage is also given flour, oil, rice etc. Our kids had a lot of fun that day and so did I. The only downside was that my face got terribly burnt that day - I was so busy with the children that I forgot about the sunscreen and didnt realise how strong the sun actually was until it was too late... The following morning I couldn't even open my eyes properly as my face was quite swallen. I had to stay indoors for a few days as even little bit of direct sun was causing a lot of pain for me.
Everyone had their face painted

Some of our kids riding a camel :)


Mercy & Mary (too afraid to ride a horse or a camel ;)

Mary & I with the event organisers receiving gifts for MCCH (including a Xmas tree :)
We also had a visitor from UK - Fleur, who decided to spend her Xmas with our children. The kids were thrilled to have her here. I was also very happy about Fleur's visit as I had to travel to Mombasa over Xmas period - I knew Fleur would do a great job with the kids and from all the stories I heard she did keep them entertained all the time she was there and the kids are really missing her now. THANKS SO MUCH Fleur, you are a star :)

It is easy to see how much kids love Fleur

1 comment: