Friday, January 28, 2011

Good Bye...

I hardly slept the night before leaving Motherly Care. I spent half of it packing as I wanted all to be ready in the morning. I planned to leave around 2pm and arranged taxi for that time. I wanted to have enough time in the morning to say "good bye" properly to the children and to distribute most of the things I still had in my room for them - I wanted every child to be given sthg as I knew if I just left it like that, most of it would just end up in the store room...

With Isack, Samson, Robert, Hamza & Washira - they stayed with me until the car started to move 
I got up in the morning with a heavy heart. I felt absolutely terrible about what was happening and the pain in my side was back again. I prepared the things I wanted to give out to the kids and went to each class giving every child a present and telling them that I was leaving and wasn't sure when I would be back. It was a very sad time.
Juliet with her friends in Form 2
When I was almost finished (only 1 class remaining), I was asked by the manager of the home to come with him and talk things over. Of course he tried to convince me to stay and denied ever saying anything bad, even though I told him the information I had was coming from very trustworthy people and I had also seen emails that were sent to some of my friends. Still, he was denying it all... The pain was becoming worse and worse and I had to go back to my room and rest. I couldn't even walk properly - 2 girls were helping me to get back to my room...

with Jacintha, Gloria, Sophie and Liz
John also called me to let me know that he was able to come sooner and would be there by 12.30. I had to make sure that I was ready by then and so were the children that he was collecting. When he arrived the founder of the home also arrived and they were discussing what happened but I did not want to take part in it - firstly because I really wasn't feeling well and secondly I knew that she would deny everything, same way the manager did...

Juliet with Catherine & Jacintha
Juliet was running around saying good bye to her friends and boys were coming to see her brother off. All of the 3 children that were coming with me were really liked and popular amongst the Motherly Care children. It was a very sad moment but at least Juliet managed to get some photos with her friends.

Juliet with Jacintha, Gloria, Sophie and Liz
 The children were really sad to see us go and it was breaking my heart to leave them. I can't really put in words how I felt at that time. After short while we set off in the taxi loaded up to the limit... there were 3 children and 3 adults (incl. the driver) and so much luggage that some of it was on the back seat... me and Juliet's brother were sitting at the front while Juliet, Eveline, John and 2 large bags at the bag (Juliet was sitting at Eveline's lap and we were all very squashed... It was travelling in a truly African way!


Juliet with her best friend Jacintha
 We went to another small orphanage where the Director agreed to host us.

I don't know when, if at all, I will be back in Ruai. I sent an email to the MCCH Director letting her know that I have transferred the final amount of the money that was in the UK account and that I am not expecting any more to be paid in.

So this is the end of my experience with Motherly Care. I am still staying in Kenya and will carry on writing about my African adventures in a new blog...

As a final word in this chapter I would like to say a big THANK YOU to all those that supported my efforts in helping the MCCH children and also those that have shown tremendous trust in me when things started to go wrong, especially Vik, Stephen and Janet, Sonja and Fleur and many others. I am very lucky to have so many great friends.

My boys - I really miss them...


No comments:

Post a Comment